Tuesday, October 12, 2010

On The Road Again

Well, I've been on the road for 6 days already, and failing to write as often as I would like, both here and on paper.  

I finally drove away from Santa Monica around 3pm on Wednesday, October 6.  After many long, drawn-out, torturous, beautiful, heartwarming, much appreciated goodbye gatherings the day and the hour and the minute really came.  It was an uncharacteristically gloomy and rainy day, setting the mood for my bittersweet departure.  Los Angeles cried with me that day!

So I headed up to La Canada to pick up my couchsurfing co-pilot.  I had posted an event on couchsurfing.org(if you don't know about this, look it up, if you are scared of it, don't be!) about my roadtrip and necessity for a partner or 2 and a few days before I left Kent signed up for the first leg of the trip to Seattle.  Off we went directly to San Francisco, where we stayed with Mikal.  Also a couchsurfer that I had surfed with last year when Mary-Kate, James, my sister and I went up for the Treasure Island Music Festival.  

Originally I planned to stay in SF for a few days, but when we woke up Thursday morning Kent and I shared the want for the open road, windows down, ocean breeze in our faces.  After an oil change, a stop at the bank, and another failed attempt to find Mussel Rock we headed over the Golden Gate Bridge and up California Interstate 1.  

Eventually we saw a sign for a slight detour to a lighthouse, which sounded pleasant, so to the lighthouse we went.  Point Reyes National Seashore, not too far north of San Francisco.  We drove out to the tip, walked down to the lighthouse, conquering its 300 stair entrance, and looked out over the Pacific.  We saw a pod of dolphins traveling south, jumping and playing along the way, it was a beautiful sunny day.  It made me think of this. http://xkcd.com/59/ (You should read this comic all the time.)  

A man overheard us talking about camping and suggested a site called Stillwater Cove.  We arrived just around sunset, which was perfect.  I used my skills acquired as a child heating our house with a woodstove, and got a pretty good fire going.  We had a few beers, I wrote some stuff down, and read a little, and slept outside in my sleeping bag on my yoga mat.  It was a good day.

3 comments:

  1. Hi neicey weicey! I am following you! Grandma wants to know how your visit with Claudia was.
    Any chance you will be in NYC next weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your trip Maria ! Don't forget the frenches when you will be in Paris !

    I'll read your story !

    Take care of yourself et "kiff ta race" like we say here !

    Polo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that you have started your travels, mine have been delayed for a bit but I'm really inspired as I read your entries.

    You are amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete