Friday, October 29, 2010

5000 Miles Later

Already failing here with this blog thing.  I have made it back to the Northeast Region of the United States of America! 







Cheryl in front of the Banff Castle, all packed up.
Its hard to believe its already been 3 weeks since I left my home in Santa Monica.  Its hard to believe its only been 3 weeks since I left my home in Santa Monica.  Cheryl did a wonderful job getting me across the continent safely and without complications.  I somehow managed to not have to drive 1 inch of the way without a wonderful and much appreciated companion or 2 or 3. 






Beautiful Lake Louise and our hotel, from a view point on the hike
We basically Fairmont hopped from Canada to Chicago, livin' large for a week, actin like money ain't no thang.  Lake Louise was the most beautiful natural thing I have ever seen with my own two eyes.  Driving up to the most magnificent hotel I've ever been in in my '98 Subaru with extra luggage covered in a blue tarp on top was pretty offensive.  After 2 nights at Lake Louise, with a refreshing 6 hour hike, we drove down to our Castle Resort in Banff where we did a nice day hike followed by spa-time and Anny's birthday dinner. 





The much dreaded 30 hours from Calgary to Chicago came and passed.  We started with an afternoon by a lake in Glacier National Park in Montana, then Catie and I alternated states from Montana to Chicago.  First Catie drove Montana, I napped until 2am and woke up for my graveyard shift until 8am, crossing all of North Dakota in one fell swoop.  We realized we could make it to Chicago by evening so off we went with serious determination for Chicago before total exhaustion!  Catie took the reigns and manhandled the shit out of Minnesota, and then I did the final stretch through Wisconsin and into Chicago, Illinois.  Thursday, 10/21/10. 

Sunrise in North Dakota




Architecture Boat Ride Tour in Chicago
Had an absolutely wonderful 4 nights in Chicago.  Being that we made it to Chicago a day early, we had no reservations so we stayed with Raffi's friend Greg initially, then checked into the Fairmont there for Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights.  I woke up Friday morning to discover my first major FAIL of the trip - my wallet was gone.  Giant pain in my ass, but after stressing out over it for a while I finally accepted that what's done is done.  I still had my passport and could easily get cash from the bank, and so the show would go on.  Chicago is a very great city.  The weather cooperated so well from start to finish of this whole trip.  There were a few welcomed rainy days.  My last night in Chicago we took a little run along the lake in the warm sprinkling rain, then jumped in the freezing cold Lake Michigan.  It sure feels good to be alive sometimes.

Raffi and Anny left Saturday morning while Catie and I stayed in town until Monday.  I had my last teary goodbye for a while.  The most amazing thing about hugging a person you love goodbye and crying a little is that you remember to appreciate them the way they deserve all the time.  (That sentence is for you Catie, but the concept applies to many more)

Last night I made it to Syracuse, where I had a nice dinner with family and my last road trip partner, on board for the Chicago - Syracuse part of the voyage.  It was very nice to be able to relax a little, see Dad and Kathy, and unload the car a bit.  But, of course its a little strange to not be on the road again and Bri and Emily are out there somewhere, so off I go again!  This morning I left for Albany, where Facundo caught the bus back to the farthest east, and I am now sitting next to one of the loves of my life.   Brianna Trexler, the greatest thing that came from my year in Buffalo, NY. 

And tomorrow, from Albany I drive to Burlington, VT.  There I find my darling little sister, with her semi-urban chicken ranch.

1 comment:

  1. The pictures and writing are amazing, I feel like I'm watching you on your journey, although you can't really see me.

    Last thing,"The most amazing thing about hugging a person you love goodbye and crying a little is that you remember to appreciate them the way they deserve all the time." Best sentence I've read in a while, up there with one of my favorite quotes.

    The beauty of your writing comes from your honesty, no bs...
    love you tompkins!!!

    ReplyDelete