Friday, October 29, 2010

Flashback to Portland

This would have been Saturday and Sunday 10/9 - 10/10

Samoa Cookhouse
Flashback to the Lost Coast.  This day was kinda uneventful.  After our spectacular morning drive we stopped for some breakfast on the Samoa Peninsula just outside of Eureka, CA.  Samoa Cookhouse, big buffet style red-checkered table cloths.  Kent found something about it in his Lonely Planet USA book so off we went.




Rainy Day on the Oregon Coast
And we keep on driving.  It was raining again, the first time since we left LA.  It was appropriate I would say.  We crossed into the Oregon border and I missed the sign.  Kent was sleeping in the passenger seat.  I got news from Raffi and Catie that they would be joining me in Seattle and Vancouver respectively.  Raffi also called to see if Anny could also join us in Vancouver.  It would be a tight squeeze, but we'd make it work.  Strap some stuff to the roof if we have to.  We had been very lucky with the weather up until now, but the Oregon coast was still a lovely sight to see even in the rain.




Autumn In Oregon
We took the coast until we got a glimpse of the Oregon Dunes in Reedsport, then we cut east toward the 5 along what I assume is the Umpqua river, or stream, or something water and pretty, whatever it was called.  In a matter of hours we left California mountain coast and were transported to a colorful autumn.  The weather shaped up a bit, but I was tired and ready to reach a destination, so we gave up on the coast and headed for the freeway to Portland.  Honeydew, CA to Portland, OR.





 We got there late evening, hosted by Don.  More couchsurfing.  Mary-kate had surfed Don and his roommates' couch a while back when she went to Portland.  We returned the favor and hosted them in LA when their band came to town.  I had only met Don for all of 3 minutes that day, but she put us in contact and, voila, we have a free place to stay and a bit of a guide in Portland. 

Woke up the next morning to rain again and wanted to go for a run.  Don's house was in a neighborhood up on some bluffs on the north side of Portland.  I went to run along the bluffs and found I was not the only one with that idea.  Apparently we were situated at approximately mile 19 of the Portland marathon this fine rainy Saturday morning.  I considered altering my route, but after a quick glance around it seemed no one would notice or mind if I just hopped in and ran a bit.  I stayed on course with the marathoners for about a mile or so before I headed in through the neighborhood to loop back around.  Running in a marathon is totally fun!  Glad I got that out of the way.





Over the River and Through the Woods
I left Portland for St. Helens to visit my Aunt Claudia whom I had never met.  My paternal grandmother's sister.  She actually lived quite on the outskirts of St. Helens which was a small town about an hour north of Portland.  I literally took a turn off the main road and then drove to the end of every road I came to after that, concluding with driving to the end of a dirt road where I found her cozy home, solitary on a hill overlooking rolling woods and farm land and the outline of Portland in the distance.  I had an absolutely marvelous time meeting her, drinking tea, eating some delicious pea soup, reading and puzzling.  Her daughter also stopped in and I was able to meet my dad's cousin Susan (my 2nd cousin) for the first time as well.  I ended up staying the night there, learning that there was another strong, interesting, independent woman in my family and somehow discovering things about myself through someone I had just met.
Claudia's Patio

No comments:

Post a Comment