Friday, October 1, 2010

Hours to Minutes

Seconds turn to minutes, minutes turn to hours, hours turn to days, and eventually you have a lifetime.  Anticipation reverses the process.  Months turn to weeks, weeks turn to days, and eventually you are an emotional mess of tears.

In the last few days I have sorted through the material remnants of the last 5-6 years of my life.  Personal belongings sorted, evaluated, and ruthlessly discarded, packed away into a snowboard bag and a few suitcases, a box of photo albums and books.

I sold my bike and have taken away numerous bags of clothing, books, cds, shoes, etc.  Piece by piece I reduce my possessions to fit in the back of a Subaru Outback.  No matter how much I free myself of, it all still seems too much.

Today I went on a "discovery flight."  We took off from Santa Monica Airport and I took control of N1111X from Malibu to Hollywood.  Slight complications during the flight with a malfunctioning throttle only made me feel that much more thrilled, and forced my novice engagement in landing.  Getting a pilot's license isn't the worst idea I've ever had.

Tonight I played trivia at the Cock 'n' Bull one last time with my favorite trivia team and favorite bartender.  Watery eyes ensued.

I have 5 days left here in Santa Monica, CA.  I have loved this place and often declared I may never leave.  I am leaving, but I have a good feeling I'm coming back.  It's hard to turn your back on Home Sweet Home.  I reserve that nomination for this part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment