Saturday, January 22, 2011

Keep On Keepin' On

Hey there Party People!

Bungalow Balcony, Sania's House
In Ubud here, staying in an adorable Bungalow compound called Sania's House.   Currently I am down the street at a local bar/restaurant with a Saturday night blues band ensemble.  It actually is Saturday today!

I am enjoying a large Bintang which is an Indonesian Pilsner.  I like beer and sunshine =).

Speaking of sunshine, I was told this was the rainy season and let me tell you this has got NOTHING on the rainy Costa Rican adventure Mary-Kate and I survived.  Of course I'm pretty sure that was a hurricane that was actually a nation wide natural disaster.  It has been mostly sunny with light showers here for the most part.  It does go from rainy to sunny to rainy to sunny pretty quickly, but I have yet to see hours of downpour which is what I expected. 

I got an email confirming that I was granted the Australia working holiday visa.

I'm trying to think of the most interesting thing I've seen here so far and its hard.  I'm feeling like I have not been as adventurous as I'd like to be.  Ubud is strange to me because it is unbelievable how it has been taken over by Europeans, Americans, and Australians.  It seems like less Australians here than in the beach areas of the island.  There are clearly lots of tourists, but also a very large ex-pat community.  A lot of the local businesses clearly have a strong western influence.  Menu items in restaurants are catered to fit the expectations of white people on vacation.  Prices are still pretty low, but higher than you'd expect.  Everything is really nice, and there is a spa/resort/homestay/bungalow complex every 30 feet, and I am not exaggerating.

The place I am in is modest and very pleasant with beautiful wooden door frames and an overly friendly and warm staff, which I am pretty sure is a large family.  Puppies run around the entire complex, and when I wake up in the morning there is a thermos of hot tea and cups on my table on my balcony.  Spotty internet is also available, and warm water but poor water pressure, all for about $25 a night.

This band is making me wanna bop my head.  In the next couple of days I plan to take a 4 hour Balinese bike tour, and also hike a volcano to see the sunrise and hopefully that will satisfy some of my restlessness.  After that I am off to the Gili Islands to get underwater and follow some fish around for no other reason than to creep them out. 

I will try to take and upload more photos.  I'm sorry that I suck at that, and also that I do not try to hard to put these words and paragraphs together in a way that is more fluid, cohesive and coherent, but maybe you should just take what you can get.

Oh yeah, romantic male companions are (as I already knew but for some reason had momentarily forgotten) overrated.  No worries about that, everything is going just as it should.

Love you, miss you.

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment