Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ernie's Market Around The World

This one's for my homies back in da Port.

So MGMT played a show here at the Beach Hotel a couple of weeks ago, which is bar/restaurant/hotel right on the main beach up in the center of town.  It's basically an wide open bar venue, and in the afternoon Kat and I wandered over there while they were setting up and rehearsing a bit.  There wasn't security or anything, the place was basically empty, and there were just a few people having an afternoon snack and beer.

I generally try to avoid awkward small talk (sometimes I regret, like right now) so I didn't go over to Ben and remind him of our Westport Connection.  I was thinking about it later though, and that is 2 former Ernie's Market Employees in a small town in Australia 10 years after the fact.  That's some shit if you ask me.  There really aren't too many of us, and to have us both standing there feet away from each other on the opposite side of the planet... the smallness of this big world never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, the show was sold out, and I left for the Gold Coast for the Quiksilver Pro that evening anyway so I wasn't around to see it.  In retrospect, I should have approached Ben, done the secret Westport handshake, postponed the trip up north and gone too see the show.  Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Westport NY/Ernie's Market shout out! You're the best!
    Love, Auntie C
    P.S. Ben would have thought that was way cool too. Shoulda been wearing your Ernie's Market T shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow maria! the paths that cross yours in your travels is almost mystical. yes - you should have gone over to say hi - i am sure it would have blown ben away. it doesn't sound like you to be shy. all very neat regardless! :)

    ReplyDelete