Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ok Ok Ok

I haven't really written lately.  And I'll tell you why.

First, not much adventuring has been happening, although technically its all part of the adventure even when its not so gripping.

Second, I've been moody.

Trying to get a job was tough.  Byron is a small town with lots of backpackers (ranging from seemingly put together to totally out there dirty smelly hippies).  Anyway, so many people with similar ideas to mine, who want to stay in Byron cause its fun and cool and great, and want to work.  Employers are weary of the Working Holiday Visa, because they hire people and then they are gone in a couple of months and it sucks.  There really is no way around it, even Australians migrate through here in a couple of months time.  Anyway, I had a constant feeling of rejection and failure for about a month, but sunny days when I went to beach BBQs and surfing all day I felt fine, rainy cold days stuck in the house with an overactive brain were not so fine.  Never so bad either.  Just a little travelin' blues.  I've felt them before.  The kind of feeling where mostly all I want to do is reattach to an umbilical cord and crawl back inside the womb and pretend none of this ever happened.

Anyway, I had verbally declared abandonment of the job search sometime in the beginning of last week.  I was going to stay in Byron bit longer, but ultimately head elsewhere and see how that went.  I have some friends from LA who just arrived in Australia, so I figured I could meet with them and go play some more.

A few days later, I went to hike Mt. Warning to watch the sunrise.  Napping through to following day I missed a call, and when I checked my voicemail I was shocked to find out with was a woman from a restaurant I had dropped a resume at a week or so before.  I was really under the impression that leaving a resume somewhere was about the equivalent to throwing it directly in the garbage.  Anyway, she asked if I was still looking for work: I was.  She asked if I would like to come in for an interview tomorrow: I did.  So that's what I did. 

Thrift store shopping for some black dress pants: $5
Eggplant colored sleeveless sweater top: $5
Uncomfortable pair of black shoes covered by the pants anyway: $1

Finally getting a job at a pretty nice beach front restaurant - my office with a view: Priceless

Anyway, I worked 3 days this week.  I like them, they like me.  Its going to be good.  I'm going to tell a story about the Mt. Warning hike, and maybe a few other interesting things that have happened and some other thoughts about who the F knows what.  But I just wanted to quickly say YAY! 

3 comments:

  1. uhhhh, congratulations! That'll fix your mood! And $11 interview outfit? NIiiiiicce.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you make really big tips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the restaurant is treating you well!

    ReplyDelete