Thursday, February 10, 2011

Here I Go Again


How many times can I write about diving and hold your attention?  My guess is I'm reaching the end of the line.  I don't even want to write more about it, and I've even reached a temporary saturation point of actually doing it finally, after 2 weeks straight.  But... a last few words...


Night Dive, Take 1
There's the night dive to the sunken dock.  The ridiculous fun and anxiety of the rescue diving.  Learning how to handle unconscious or panicked divers and swimmers.  The temporary extended family of the dive school (both employees and patrons), fully equipped with all the family members you love, don't know so well, never really knew how to connect with, feel you really understand, really enjoy their company, don't really know how you feel about their company, only see for the holidays, will be right here at home always and forever, and so on.  But you do all share something, and you are all right here and right now and something brings you all together.  In this case its actually a shared interest or two, not an obligatory DNA binding.




Night Dive, Take 2
In the end I have to stop trying to capture all the excitement and emotion of this experience here.  It has been wonderful in so many ways.  I wish I had a chip in my brain that could I could upload here so you could just experience my sensory overload.  Although writing stuff down can be satisfying, most often its just humbling when I realize how limited I am. 



Staying on for 2 weeks, and going through several skill levels, completing 16 dives total, getting a little routine on the island, from my sleeping quarters, to my preferred breakfast place, to the beng-beng chocolate fix, to the evening local food night market… I got a pretty good taste of what it's like to be a Gili Island dive junky.  It tastes good, and staying to savor some more of it is tempting, very very tempting.  But not for me, not right now.  Variety is the spice of life, they say.  And I've always been a fan of spicy.



I love beng-beng.
real chocolate, caramel, wafer, cream, and crispy

Went to the cinema for my last night in Gili.  They were featuring I Love You, Phillip Morris.  I do wish that cinemas like this one existed everywhere; the cinema was a tile floor with a thatched grass roof.  On the floor were rows of mats and wedge pillows facing a screen.  My main hang up about going to the movies is normally that I can't think of anything more uncomfortable than sitting awkwardly upright for 1.5 to 3 hours.  This particular setup was quite sandy, which was a downside, but with slightly higher levels of maintenance I'm sure something like this could be very popular in a theater near you. 

Made it safely back to Bali.  Sitting in Sanur were I have been relaxing like crazy, getting my wifi fix.  And tomorrow night im off again!  To the Land Down Under.  You know, Kangaroo burgers and shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment